Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Good Luck Ariana Wakeman...and Thank You!

Ari at her desk working on housing appointments
We have come to that difficult time of year were we must once again say goodbye to one of our LVC staff members.
 

Ariana Wakeman (Ari) has just about completed her year of service with us and will be moving on to hopefully bigger and better things.

We have been very grateful and blessed to have Ari on board with us and she has worked hard all year. As with my tradition since my arrival I wanted to ask Ari some questions about her experience here with us before her last day, which is July 25.


How did you feel when you found out you were coming to Delaware and to LCS?

-       Ari: I was excited to work for a program such as Lutheran Community Services. I was unsure how I would like Delaware, but knew it would be a great experience.

Was this the kind of work you were looking to do?
     Ari: This was exactly the kind of work I was looking to do. I was very interested in working with low-income populations and being an advocate. This year has confirmed for me that I am in the right field, and that I am passionate about what I am doing.
 
Getting reading for produce distribution
When you first arrived, was it what you were expecting? What were your first impressions?

-        Ari: I did not have a lot of expectations coming into this position because I wanted to be open to different experiences and learning opportunities. I felt very welcomed by the staff and volunteers, which made  the transition smooth for me.

Would you want to do this kind of work again and what have you learned while you were here?

-        Ari: I would like to continue to work in this field. I feel that I have learned a lot about how non-profits are run, how to interact with clients, and the details of various government programs. I recognize that I have a lot more to learn, but I am thankful for the opportunities for growth this has provided for me as an individual.

Was there one moment that sticks out to you that you will never forgot during your time here at LCS?
-        Ari: I found that although there can be many stressful moments in an environment such as this, there were also many times that laughter became the best medicine. I am appreciative to have had people around me who were able to do this.

What will you miss the  most here  at LCS?

Ari: I will really miss the people, including both the volunteers and the staff. I am honored to have worked with such genuine, caring, and compassionate individuals whom I greatly look up to.

Ari and a volunteer prepare to call out numbers for produce
in heat. Volunteers work in all weather for produce
What plans do you have after you leave?

Ari:  I will be attending the University of Michigan for my Masters in Social Work with a concentration in Community Organizing and Health as well as joining the cycling team there. 

Ari, Thank You! You made such an impression on us and we are all going to dearly miss you. We wish you much success in your exciting future plans!

No comments: